It's "Zee" not "Zed"

Day 1 at SELCO Foundation

Two months ago when I walked through the doors of the building and awkwardly waiting for my supervisor, I never ever ever thought that I would have made so many great friends and memories.

After two months in this organization, I have found myself connecting with people from all over India, the US, Canada, Mexico, South Africa, and Spain. It's been so amazing to connect with people who enjoy being a part of something bigger. I've met people willing to constantly order me food because I don't know what to get. I've had friends take me to the doctor and constant check ins.

While at SELCO, I have:

  • Watched fidget spinners become an obsession of the office, and then watched the interest fade. 
  • Had many, many arguments over the right way to say words such as "z" and "zebra"
  • Had arguments on how the "ground floor" is different from "floor 1"
  • Played Human Tug-A-War with coworkers (see the photo below)

Besides the incredible people, I have also learned so much. I've had the opportunity to understand the ways a NGO works and how other organizations are doing powerful work across India. I've learned so much about sustainability and education, as well as become a beginner expert in all things at SELCO. I've written documents that I never thought that I was capable of doing. And creating impact in small ways. 

One of the most incredible experiences was having the opportunity to create a 10 page document on disability and inclusion for the education team. While I am not expert on these sort of things, I was extremely lucky to have an opportunity to explore the ideas of inclusion both from like-minded people in India as well as across the world. I was able to learn a lot about how disability not only affects children in India, but also about the organizations that are working towards change. 

Shout out to the wonderful people who I met, who supported me over the last two months. I will always value my time at SELCO even when I struggled. 

Last Day at SELCO Foundation





Comments

Popular Posts