India and Transportation

Transportation is much, much, much different than the US for many reasons:
  1. Seatbelts aren't really required or accessible in the back of most transportation. I often can't find the buckle for the seatbelt, and have to go without. 
  2. There are lanes on the road, no one pays attention to them. They are a much ignored suggestion. This goes for both dash lines and solid lines. I'm often in a car that cuts in front of all the other cars by going onto the wrong side of the road.
  3. Cars drive on the left side of the road, and drivers are on the right. It still weirds me out.
  4. There is CONSTANT honking. Usually for no reason other than to remind every other car that you're there and you're ready to go. 
  5. Driving is a lot like go-karts (referenced in my previous post). You just dart in and out of other cars. 
  6. Motorcycles believe the road and the sidewalk are their's to use. 
  7. Rickshaws ignore everyone and go where they want to no matter what. 
I've ridden in 4 separate types of transportation in Bangalore: 

  • The Metro (underground subway system)
It was crowded, but new. It served 50,000 people as is, but with the expansion that'll finish mid-June, it'll begin serving 200,000 people in Bangalore. Only a small fraction of the nearing population of 10 million people in the city.

  • Taxi (AKA a Jeep) 
One of the scarier forms of transportation is the Jeep which is a taxi system. The one I encounter had no doors on the front of the vehicle, the back had a small door that was maybe 1-2 feet tall that was supposed to be enough to keep everyone in the back contained to the car.The back was two cushion benches facing each other. Despite the very, very, VERY curvy road we were on, the taxi driver drove quickly and often in the middle of the road, which makes it difficult to see oncoming buses barreling towards you. 

The back of the jeep. There was 5 of us back here
on the trip. 




  • Local Bus
The bus is crowded, but not too bad. The windows are wide open so it's free A/C. Terrifying part was being in Ujire and the doors for the bus are tied open. I happen to get on a crowded bus which meant I stood next to the stairs that led to the drop out the door. It was terrifying. However, I'm still alive to post this, so I guess it could have been worse. It's also fairly cheap, which is nice since the ride is bumpy and loud. 
  • Rickshaws (a three-wheeled, yellow and green contraption)
Of the four, I love rickshaws. There's air always blowing, but I also get ripped off probably every time I'm in one. They're often unaware of streets or buildings, and they navigate based on main roads and landmarks. When they don't know where they're going, they pull to the side of the road and ask for directions from whichever person happens to be near. This is why a ride that should only take 35 minutes, results in an hour (if I'm lucky). 
  • Uber (essentially the only cab system in Bangalore)
My story with Uber is much different. Uber is usually okay, but I've had the worst driver in the world.  He was unaware of streets, missed turns, and almost hit the car/motorcycle/rickshaw in front of him every time we had to stop. 

The best Uber I had was on Friday of my first week. I jumped into the car and the Chainsmokers were playing. He drove calmly and only started honking his horn when he got an update about the next customer. 
  • Motorcycle (sorry Mom) 
I had been a week and a half without any sort of data use in Bangalore, and I know what you're thinking: does she really need it? Yes, yes I do. I have gotten stranded an hour from home and taken rickshaws (see above reasons why this isn't always fun). I have had people call me Ubers. And sometimes I just don't even know where I am and where I'm going. 

So back to the motorcycle. I was going with a coworker to get a SIM card so that I can finally have data. Well, surprise! The coworker drives a motorcycle so that's how we're going to the store. No helmet. No seatbelt. No doors. Yes, I am terrified. Anyways, all is going good until I hear her start mumbling under her breath and she pulls off onto the side of the road. Surprise #2: the cops are making us pay a fee for not wearing helmets. I'm completely clueless. So the coworker hands her license to the cop and we drive off to the store. 

Don't ask me how, but we paid no fines and everything worked out well. But, I think that one trip on the motorcycle is enough for me. 




I got very close to a cow. So close that my camera couldn't capture it's face. 





Comments

Popular Posts