Week 1 Update: "Chalo" to Bangalore

I've been in Bangalore for 1 week officially! It has been an adventure so far with some great stories to tell you, so prepare for a longer post.

To start off with, I have not experienced culture shock because of some large difference between Bangalore and the US, but rather by little things that differ between the countries such as:

  • No one drinks tap water, so I always have to ask if the water is okay to drink
  • You don't have a spoon or fork, no worries! Eat with your hands, but this does not mean that everyone eats with their hands, just with certain foods or when you're without a utensil. 
  • Driving here is essentially like go-karts. You drive super closer to each other, filling the space, ignoring all lanes and signs. It's fun, but most cars/transportation does not include seatbelts. 
  • Raisins are green! And taste better
  • Everyone shares food. You don't sit and just eat your own food, it is family style all the time and it's often not offered to you, just assumed you'll eat some of everyone's food. 
  • British-like English is mostly used, which means random things make zero sense ("zed" means "z" apparently).
  • I work Monday-Saturday, 9:30-5:30pm (more on this in another post).
  • Taco Bell in India is disgusting. I was disappointed by how fresh the ingredients were and how the lime and mint freeze tasted like it came from an upscale restaurant. 
And after a week in Bangalore, I've learned that almost everything everyone has told me about India is wrong, EXCEPT everyone tries (and succeeds) in ripping me off. Below are the misconceptions I came to India with...

  • "Indians are short, you'll be the tallest person"... yeah, no. I am at best normal height here, but often people are taller. 
  • "No one really drinks in Bangalore"... yeah, Wednesdays are ladies night. Bangalore is also known for their alcohol. 
  • "No one wears jeans, except the younger kids"...  yeah, everyone at my work, which are all different ages wear jeans... and lower cut shirts...and t-shirts. 
  • "India is super dirty"...yeah, but not really. It's a perspective thing. Dirt is in more places, and trash is disposed differently, but New York is dirtier than Bangalore in my opinion (no offense NY). 
  • "You'll get sick a lot"...yeah, this one is iffy. I haven't gotten sick yet, which doesn't constitute as a lot. 
  • "Be careful of everything you eat and drink. No meat. No dairy. Only cooked veggies and fruits that are peeled"...yeah, it's the water, not the food. Bangalore is developed with working fridges and innovative set ups for electricity and storage. 
  • "No one drinks coffee in India"... yeah, they laughed at this. Everyone loves coffee and tea. It's served twice a day at work and everyone I go out with drinks coffee at all times of the day(They're my kind of people)

Okay, well so I have had some interesting perspective changes so far. I think a lot of what I've experienced has been just so outrageous and random, that I have experienced Bangalore a lot differently than others have. And I love it despite some of the stupid things people have done to rip me off. Like the lovely rickshaw driver who asked me for 20 more rupees and I happily gave it to him and when I told my coworkers, they shook their head and laughed, "You just say no and walk away. The meter is always right."

My most recent story, that you are not the first to hear, is my adventure with my malaria pills on Thursday. I was told by the travel clinic to always take my malaria pill with food or milk because it's pretty hard on the stomach. I was in a rush though, so I thought I'd be fine. Apparently, I was not. I had to take a rickshaw (a three wheeled contraption) to work, and about halfway through the trip, I realize I have to puke. So I puke not once, not twice, but three times out the side of this vehicle. The driver NEVER stops and continues to drive me to the wrong area. 

I also have been getting eaten alive by mosquitos for the last week. I react pretty badly to mosquito bites and have large bruises all over my legs and feet and hands. I'll spare you the picture. 

Anyways, I love Bangalore and I would move here in a heartbeat if I could. The people are the sweetest and help whenever I get lost (which is often) and my coworkers help me pick the best food (I love chaat). I never feel alone in the city, and there's so many places to explore and there's always a great place to eat. There's cows and dogs and monkeys everywhere. And mango lassi.

Chalo (let us go) to Bangalore!




Comments

Popular Posts